Monday, May 7, 2012

Day One as a SAHM

Hello all.

Sorry for the extremely lame lack of posting over the past few weeks. Between my job treating my like crap, my Grandmother's health scare and myself being diagnosed with bronchitis AND laryngitis, it hasn't been the best of times.

But on to the good news - Grandma does NOT have cancer! Her biopsy came back as just "fibrous tissue." It was the best news I have received in a LONG time. (To be honest, she overreacted just a TEENY bit by telling us all she HAD breast cancer when the letter from the doctor, which I saw, said it was 'suspicious for malignancy.' But she was scared, so I understand.)

My last day of work on the 25th was very bittersweet. I have many fond memories from my job but it was definitely tainted by the awful way they chose to treat me. I have deleted my previous post about it because it is very whiny and negative and it makes me angry all over again, and I am choosing to move past the whole thing and enjoy my new career as a stay-at-home mom.

Even though I wasn't working, I left E in daycare last week and I ABSOLUTELY kicked my house's ass. In four days, I: shampooed carpets, scrubbed the floors Cinderella-style, organized and sanitized the fridge, organized the pantry, organized my closet and donated a ton of clothes, cleaned out our "Hoarders" back bedroom, put shelf paper in all the kitchen shelves, put away Ethan's too-small clothes (sniff), mopped and cleaned the bathrooms, filed away mounds of loose paper in the study, clipped our ferocious rose bushes into submission, potted some colorful flowers, hung hanging baskets, sprayed down the back porch and outdoor furniture, cleaned up the front flower beds and have just done a general dusting and de-cluttering.

And YES, I had a list and YES, it was color-coded. :) It was hard work and it was hard to keep myself going, but I pushed myself and did it. Then on Friday, I celebrated with a boozy lunch with a friend, a massage, some shopping, a pedicure and a girls night out (with more booze).

So today is really my first day as a stay-at-home mom. I'll be honest, I have been nervous about going back to full-time mothering. What if I don't like it? What will we do all day? Will I get bored? What can I do to entertain him all day?

But I know that I will figure it out.

E chose to celebrate my first day at home with a MASSIVE blow-out (we're talking all the way up to the SHOULDERS, people) and while I was cleaning him up the protective extra wipe slipped and he peed in his own face. He screamed like a banshee and it took forEVER to calm him down. We essayed a successful excursion to the grocery store and he got many admiring glances as he gazed about from his Baby Bjorn carrier. My shoulders are killing me now, though.

He just gets more adorable every single day. Over the past few days he has really started talking a LOT. His talking consists of a lot of "growling," which is so darn cute. Instead of crying, most mornings he wakes me up by just talking to himself over the monitor. I keep waiting for him to find his feet.

Well, I must go! He has decided that his nap is over. Wish me luck during my first week!


  1. I am so happy for you! Good luck this week - I'm sure you'll find your way as a SAHM.

  2. Well that is one way to wash his own face! Yuck! I'm hoping that there will be less blow outs.