Thursday, June 9, 2011

Another Scare

Enter sigh of relief here [WHEW].

After some spotting on Tuesday and waking up to some bits of "stuff" yesterday and today, I've been pretty nervous.

I had my appointment with the perinatal doctor today. I was going to leave work at 10:30. Imagine my horror at 10:15 when I went to the bathroom and saw a big brownish splotch on my liner. And then when I wiped...reddish brown all over the TP.

I didn't call Mr. M. to tell him - he was meeting me at the doctor's office. We arrived within 10 minutes of each other and I told him what was going on. He looked understandably worried.

We waited in that tiny waiting room full of HUGELY pregnant, smug-looking women for an hour and 20 minutes while I felt myself bleeding and rapidly losing my grip on sanity. Finally we were called back and a super nice ultrasound tech brought out good ol' wandy.

There was a huge TV screen on the wall for me to look at and as soon as the baby was on the screen I started looking for that telltale flicker. And I saw it!!!!!!!

We still have a baby!

Baby was measuring 8w5d (I am 9w1d) which she said is in the normal range. Heartbeat was 179 which was also normal.

Dr. M., the perinatologist, came in a talked over some things with us. We didn't really learn anything new. He showed me a spot that could be gathered blood right outside the sac, that could be causing the bleeding. He also said that my retroverted uterus also causes my cervix to tilt the other way, which can make cramping worse.

The only slightly worrisome part was when he said that the little sac around the baby looks a little small. He said it might not be anything to worry about but that he needs to monitor me a little more closely to make sure it grows correctly. Thanks for yet another thing to worry about, doc!

I am to continue with the beloved progesterone suppositories. Joy of joys.

I am back at work now and feel like a gigantic weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I'm sure the stress will return eventually, but for now I am super relieved.

Now I have to wait TWO WHOLE WEEKS for my next ultrasound. On the same day I'll have one at the OB at 9 a.m. and one with Dr. M. at 11 a.m. And yes, apparently I do need to go to both.

Two weeks is a long damn time, but I will try to make it!

Clinging to that hope, bloggy friends...


  1. I'm so glad that your baby is still safe and sound with you! Hoping these next two weeks pass quickly!

  2. I am so happy that you are measuring well and the hb is looking great! I can't imagine the stress of spotting and I hope it stops soon! Wishing you a stress-free two weeks until your next appointment.