Thursday, January 30, 2014

Anatomy Scan Scare

We had our anatomy scan today, and while it started out as a fun and exciting day, it ended on a bit of a low, worried note.

I was sick to my stomach with anxiety this morning as we waited for the ultrasound, but once we got into the room I found myself quietly calm. The tech wasn't able to tell us any results, but did tell us what she was looking at. She also spotted the, ahem, family jewels right away, so it's going to be another boy for us!

I will admit I was surprised at how NOT disappointed I was, because I was secretly hoping for a little girl. But having another boy just seemed so right, just like, "Oh, that's exactly how it is supposed to be." I was instantly very happy and content.

After the ultrasound we waited for a long hour to see the doctor, who was running way behind. She walked in and immediately said, "All right, let me talk to you about what we found in the heart..."

...and then proceeded to write something on a piece of paper for about 45 seconds while my heart pounded and my throat constricted so I felt like I could barely breathe.

That was NOT cool, Dr. A.

So here's the basics: the baby has a tiny calcification on its heart, which while not a health risk in itself, can be an indicator of Down's syndrome. The baby shows no other signs or indicators of the syndrome and in fact was textbook perfect in terms of how healthy it was. Babies who have this condition do not always have Down's, but babies with Down's very commonly have the condition, if that makes sense. Dr. A. said that she diagnoses one of these at least once a week and in all of her eighteen years she has never had one turn out to be Down's. She said she is 99.9 percent sure that the baby will be perfectly healthy.

But. We have to be certain. So they are sending us to the Maternal Fetal Medicine (high-risk pregnancy) doctor for another ultrasound next week.

So our super exciting morning took a definite dive at the end, with tears and fears and worries. All we can do now is hope and pray for a healthy baby boy. Not sure yet when our ultrasound will be, but I'll keep you posted.

6 comments:

  1. ugh. sending you all my thoughts that this is scary but nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is scary. But congratulations on the boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 99.9% sure is pretty good. I know how scared you must feel, but your odds are low, especially if the scan didn't reveal any other markers. Just relax and breath. You will know more soon.

    Thinking of you, Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Considering you and seeking superb things for you and your family. high risk pregnancy doctor in Gurgaon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg I'm so happy to share this!!! I've been thinking I've lost my mind and it was some mental case. I myself had my tubes tied after my 3rd child. I have a condition that makes having babies so hard on my body. About 6 months ago I too would feel something like "kicks" of course I thought I was out right crazy. I never spoke to anyone about what was going through. How could I? They'd think I was nuts!!! Well my periods have been getting so bad that I reached out to my best friend who also had the operation to see if she had experienced any symptoms with her periods since! Of course we were in the same boat. I broke down and told her I almost felt at times I was pregnant I felt so crazy just typing this out to her. I was beyond nervous she would think it was a nut case. To my surprise she also had similar symptoms. We both are researching what this could be. That's when I came across this website on Google of dr Itua Herbal Center. While scrolling through these comments I stumbled upon how he treated HIV/HHerpes also helped a woman to get pregnant with his herbal medicines. When I read what he had been going through I just broke down and cried for the longest time. Finally I got a help that I ever wanted I and my friend purchase Dr Itua herbal medicines and we both used it which was really effective it cure my cramp issues so I will recommend anyone going through some health issue to contact Dr Itua Herbal Center on E-Mail : drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats-App +2348149277967 He cure HIV/Aids, Herpes, Cancers, And other stubborn disease make sure someone here talk to someone about this who is going through the same thing as us. Ty for sharing. I now know we're not alone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago with HIV and have lived taking ARV and thought of having Herbal medicine to cure this disease completely. I wouldn't be able to bear Vomiting and my tongue would go white because of these diseases called HIV/Aids. I learned to live with it but I have definitely prayed and had hands laid on me, My friends at work knew about my HIV Status so on a faithful day my friend Hannah talk to me about this great man called Dr Itua From west African because my friend Hannah is from West African too she came to acquire degree here in South Carolina, I accepted the challenge and contacted Dr Itua Herbal Center...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com also chats on Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967. Then he delivered his Herbal medicine to me which was labeled as Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cure For HIV/Aids, I took it as he instructed. After two weeks I went to the test and I was tested Negative. I'm still writing on every blog site related to the following diseases such as HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus, Shingles, Hepatitis B/C, Because he cures this kind of disease.

    ReplyDelete