Wednesday, November 30, 2011

34 Weeks and Overwhelmed!

Holy. Crap there is a lot going on right now. And a lot for me to do.

May I first begin with the great daycare debacle? Apparently in the town where I live, you have to put your name on the waiting list for daycare BEFORE you're even THINKING about trying to get pregnant so that there is the tiniest sliver of a chance that you might get a spot. I, happy in my ignorance, had no idea, and of course when I started researching daycare centers last month everyone I talked to was aghast and agog that I was needing care in APRIL and hadn't signed up before that. You could practically hear the sneers in some of their voices at my pathetic ignorance.

We found THE daycare, the one that we love and want. Originally the director seemed optimistic about finding a spot in April, but when we went for a tour she seemed pretty doubtful that it would happen. It was very frustrating as both Mr. M. and I are totally in love with the school. We're on the waiting list so we'll see what happens.

In the meantime I've been researching the other options in the town. Of the other "good" centers (meaning they come highly recommended from friends), one assured me that they won't have an opening until at least August, one said there were 30 people ahead of me on the waiting list for infant care, and one said they currently have ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY people on their waiting list. In desperation, I called several in-home caregivers recommended to me, but of course none of them answered and none of them have called me back.

Frustrated beyond belief, I took to F.acebook and posted that I was "beating my head against the 'there is no infant care available in (town)' wall". I immediately received numerous helpful responses and suggestions, some of which I had already tried, some which I hadn't.

So, long story short - a girl I went to college with (who has an education degree) said she works at a center and I should check them out. I called the director, and they have. An opening. In April. I could NOT believe my ears. They are a privately-run Christan center with only four spaces in their infant room, which I like. So I have been "slotted in" for April and will be going by to tour the center once I can arrange for some time off.

I can't describe what a HUGE relief it has been. We still want to go with our first choice, but this center has a good reputation and will suffice until our first choice has an opening.

Daycares without openings remind me of doctors who don't have available appointments for weeks at a time - what's the point? What do you do if you are actually sick? (I asked my GI doctor's nurse this after my THIRD week of suffering from what turned out to be an intestinal parasite, and the answer was "go to urgent care or the ER." Well, thanks for caring, asshole). What do people do with their children if, like us, they have no family members available to watch their kids and can't find a daycare opening?

On to other concerns. We still need a lot. Of stuff. For me and this kid. And I'm talking necessities. Diaper bag, diaper genie, and of course the actual diapers. Bottles. Crib mattress. Bedding. N.ursing b.ras, pajamas and a couple of tank tops. The stupid little practical things like b.reast pads, maxi pads and hand sanitizer. I have yet to make any freezer meals for right after baby. Need to stock up on toilet paper, paper towels and the little household necessities we won't want to run to the store for. With Christmas coming up, the price tag is going to be hefty, and while we can afford everything without any hardship, it is still stressing me out and making me feel somehow guilty.

Oh, and when I got on the scale at my appointment last Tuesday I nearly fainted. I gained a HUGE amount of weight in just two short weeks, and it was a huge shock to me as my weight gain throughout this pregnancy has been fairly slow and steady. So now I am trying to be even more super careful about what I eat, which is SUPER hard because all I crave is sweet and salty things! Sigh.

Oh, and apparently there have been TWO recent break-in attempts in our nice quiet middle-class neighborhood. Two. Now I'm terrified I'm going to come home and find the house emptied out and my precious puppies gone forever.

Oh, and my husband's grandfather keeps letting himself get swindled my crooks over the phone and my poor mother-in-law, who is beyond stressed already, just learned he gave TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS to crooks in Panama which he can never get back. He thought they were going to send him a check for $450,000. The whole family is very worried about him, as this is NOT the first time he has been taken in by schemes like this.

Argh! Okay, enough whining. I'm going to post my weekly update now. If you made it allll the way to the end of this blog: bless you. :)

How Far Along? 34 weeks

Maternity Clothes? All maternity all the time! The pairs of jeans I bought early on are (wince) getting a bit tight, so I stick to knits, cords and lightweight pants most days. Lots of soft T-shirts with sweaters to layer over them.

Weight Gain? Um. Yeah. A lot. We'll see how next week's appointment goes and then MAYBE I'll tell you how much. Perhaps. We'll see.

Stretch Marks? So far so good! Still search suspiciously for them every day but none have appeared...yet.

Sleep? Actually have been sleeping better lately, which has been nice. Only waking up once or twice to pee. I'm trying to get most of my water in by 4 p.m. to reduce nighttime pee trips.

Best Moment of the Week: Loved spending Thanksgiving with my wonderful family. Then Mr. M. and I holed up in our house all weekend and did nothing. It was AWESOME.

Weirdest Comment: A lot of "When are you due???" type questions (as in, 'aren't you about to POP?'), and today a co-worker said "it feels like you've been pregnant for forEVER!"

Movement? Of course! Baby is head down so I get lots of movement up under my ribs (not painful yet, just weird feeling) and little punches down in my abdomen. When I lay on my side he usually goes nuts. He also gets the hiccups a LOT. My OB nurse told me that what they want at this point is ten movements in ten hours, since the baby spends so much of his time sleeping at this point.

Gender? A boy!

What I miss? Being comfortable at my desk. I just can't get there - feet up, feet down, leaning back, sitting forward - all get uncomfy after about ten minutes. I miss being able to get up and down easily. I miss having the freedom to do and eat whatever I want without worrying about anything else.

Symptoms: Acid reflux, weight gain and general tiredness. Aching shoulders and back. Lack of mobility, hormonal craziness and insomnia. Constipation. Swollen fingers (about time to take off the rings, I think).

Milestones: Every day is its own milestone. This week his little t.esticles are descending, which is cool! Nature fascinates me...

Emotions: Very nervous and excited to meet our little guy! Overwhelmed by all that I have to get done!

4 comments:

  1. Busy week in your world! The next few weeks are going to fly by! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck getting everything done!!! I know the feeling of being somewhere without family nearby. My brother and his wife are about an hour and a half from us (two and a half by car), the rest are in the Midwest, and my brother and his wife are moving in January or February.

    Hope things get better for your grandpa... that is a scary situation! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make a list of what you can accomplish each day. Just don't over do it. Task out your friends and family to help with the shopping if it gets to be too much "exercise" for you. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, we had exactly the same problem in looking for day care....and I started looking over the summer. It's completely crazy. I think we finally found somewhere, it's pretty expensive (but so is everywhere else), but I'm basically just hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete